Sunday, July 26, 2009

Our (uneventful) trip Home- Almost

Thursday/Friday 7/23-24

We figured that once our luggage was checked in that it would be smooth sailing from there to home. Ahh, but not to be. On each flight to and from J’berg to Lilongwe, the flight staff took our carry-on bags and stowed them underneath because they were too big for the overhead bins. Upon arrival the bags were waiting for us. Not this time. When we asked, staff said they would get them to us. After an hour where we got the boarding passes for our next two flights, the bags and staff were nowhere to be found. I went in search and was directed to leave the International passport control area and pass through customs into the main portion of the airport. I found the bags in different areas but now I was not allowed to backtrack into the transfer area. I was directed to exit the airport (Yep, past those folks waiting with the name signs, etc.) and re-enter the departure area. OK, easy enough and I found the next customs area. When I showed my boarding passes, he showed me that I had 2 passes from London to LAX but none from J’berg to London. Plus Kari had my ticket information and we had no cell phone contact. So now I find another British Airlines rep who is able to print out the missing pass.
OK, find the next Customs area and hope that neither Verna nor Sarah C. has anything in their bags needing explanation. Luckily no issues at the X-ray machine but the next line has around 75 people in it, it is 7:40 and my ticket says the gate closes at 7:45. A clerk redirects me to the Ambassador/VIP line where I approach the next clerk. She doesn’t believe that I am either but after another explanation, my passport is stamped and I now rush to the far end to find my gate. I arrived as they were boarding and am happy to see the team waiting. I also spot Team Leader Kari telling the employees there that this plane was not leaving without the assistant chief.
The rest of the flights were uneventful but long and tiring. Without counting the airport layovers, our flying time was almost 24 hours each way. All were mentally tired so as several were awakening, I asked several to look out the window and see if they could see the Utah/Arizona border as we flew over. A couple tried but told me they couldn’t because they were sitting over the wing. Oh well, maybe next time. :)
We landed on time and got in line for our luggage only to figure out 30 minutes later that none of our checked luggage was on the flight, NONE! An airline rep approached and had a list with all of our names on it indicating our luggage “may not have been loaded.” We made the necessary delivery arrangements and went home for much-needed rest. Most of the bags showed up over the next two days. We’ve spoken to the team and several are feeling some aftereffects of the trip. We are praying that everyone physically recovers quickly.

No comments: