Sunday, July 6, 2008

Team Malawi Interview

As the days fly by and our trip to Malawi gets closer and closer (23 days from now!) I thought it would be a good time to introduce the team. I have put together a list of questions that the team members have answered. I just thought it would be a cool way for the reader to get to know the team and know how to pray for us as we are gone. I hope you enjoy getting to know our eclectic and talented team that God has brought together! Here we go:

Question 1. How did you become involved in this trip?
Sherry: As the WACC Missions Pastor
Felicia: I was interning for Sherry last summer and she told me there was going to be an opportunity to go to Malawi. She asked if I would film the trip as well. I didn't even think twice--I signed up!
Char: I got the opportunity to make this trip through my sister, Jan Turley.
Kari: When Pastor Bill said we needed people to paint the clinic in Malawi I felt like I wanted to be one of those people.
Marie: It started with picking the paint colors for the hospital. Next, I was sending murals in the container. Now, I'm going to paint more on site and help pull the color story together.
Jan: From watching the Bono film.
Lindsay: Being a missionary kid, missions and traveling are both huge to me. I talked to Sherry about doing some photography on a trip and she suggested Malawi. It immediately felt right.
Verna: After seeing the tape of Bill Hybel's interview with Bono and our church's role in building the clinic in Malawi, I felt very strongly about wanting to be involved. I am so grateful that God is leading and allowing me to go on a mission trip to Malawi.
Linda: Felt God's call to go and work on this project. I enjoy working with my hands, and I especially like to paint!
Dee: Through my daughter, Kari - watching her unending dedication to this project.
Shelley: I have wanted to go to Malawi for many years because my roommate from Biola lives there. Her family founded the African Bible College and she lives 5 minutes from the hospital.

Question 2. Why do you want to go to Malawi?
Sherry: Excited to lead an excited team of workers wanting to go see the clinic and it's completion.
Felicia: I was really impressed by WACC's offering for the hospital as well as the response to the Y-Malawi? project. I want to see and experience it for myself as well as love on the people out there.
Char: We had been to Kenya and S. Africa a few years back and wanted to return. I am into animal rescue here in Tucson and I feel it is important to reach out and help all of God's creatures; where ever and whenever possible.
Kari: I want to help get the clinic ready for the babies that will be treated there.
Marie: To give back for God.
Jan: I want to help the people.
Lindsay: I want to hear, taste, see Malawi and help it out as much as I can.
Verna: I want to help get the clinic ready for the children who need to be treated there.
Dee: To help Kari and the team with this project and to help people and children in need.
Shelley: Initially it was she who got me interested, but then when we had the Malawi Miracle take place, my interest grew even more! I wanted to help those AIDS victims so much that the desire to go filled my entire being.

3. What will be your main job on the trip?
Sherry: Painting and keeping us moving along.
Felicia: I will be filming the projects and misc adventures of the team.
Char: I will help paint and do whatever is needed.
Kari: I will be working on unpacking the containers and getting the items from the containers into the right places in the clinic.
Marie: Painting murals.
Jan: Painting, interaction with our team and the Malawian people.
Lindsay: Photography, documenting everything so that we return with lots of stories and faces to show everyone! A little "bug" decorating... i supposedly know which bugs are hanging in each of the rooms at the clinic. Also, I hear we'll be painting quite a bit...
Verna: I will help with the painting, do "go for" work - anything that is needed for our team's success in getting the clinic ready for the children.
Linda: Painting
Dee: Painting and whatever else needs to be done.
Shelley: My main job will be to take orders from the artistic people and do whatever they (and God) want me to do to get that hospital ready! I also want to sneak next door to the regular hospital and see if I can minister to the nurses there and maybe even hold some sick babies and pray over them!

4. What, if any, fears do you have about the trip?
Sherry: None
Felicia: Getting sick, like throwing up sick. The worst thing is if I were incapacitated in any way while there.
Char: I am prepared to deal with the tragedies and sadness I believe we will encounter.
Kari: I don't want to eat a zebra!
Jan: None
Lindsay: Long, long flights and big bugs!
Verna: No real fears - just not looking forward to long flight - but with this group I think it will be fun.
Linda: None, really. I'm more concerned about leaving my older dog and what the house will look like when I return home!
Dee: Staying healthy and being able to be a helpful member of the team.
Shelley: I fear leaving my family for so long. But in the whole scheme of life, two weeks is only a blip on the radar!

5. What are you most excited about?
Sherry: Seeing the faith of team mates stretched and watching their worldview expand.
Felicia: Little kids!
Char: I hope I can meet and interact with children as I am a long term teacher.
Kari: Seeing this project through to completion.
Marie: Seeing the building.
Jan: Seeing what God can accomplish through us.
Lindsay: Playing with children, working hard as a team, forever seeing life differently because of Malawi!
Verna: I'm excited to help get the clinic ready for the children who need to be treated there. I'm also excited that God has gathered our group and is empowering us to go, and the excitement shown by all the members!
Linda: Being a part of this amazing work! I am grateful for this opportunity to serve God in Africa and to be a representative for the entire "Team Malawi" - the WACC Congregation. We're all in this together!
Dee: Spending time and energy as a member of the Malawi team.
Shelley: I am most excited about being used by God in such an awesome project. I also can't wait to see how God changes me! I want to solve all the world's problems, but am settling for this important piece of the puzzle!

6. What do you expect Malawi to be like?
Sherry: I've been there, so I already know how wonderful it is.
Felicia: Have a beautiful sky and nice people.
Char: I expect Malawi to be geographically beautiful and the people warm and friendly to our group.
Kari: My son says it is easier to breath in Africa, I am excited to see if I agree with that.
Jan: I think it will be a beautiful place, though poor.
Lindsay: I keep thinking of Lion King... but i'm sure it won't really be like that (talking animals and all). I'm sure the sunsets will be awe inspiring and the people will probably make me so happy i cry.
Verna: Beautiful, primitive yet modern in certain parts, filled with God's children.
Linda: I don't know. This is all so new to me - I have no expectations. I look forward to the journey that lies ahead.
Dee: Beautiful country, interesting peoples and culture so very different from what I know.
Shelley: I expect to see poverty and friendly people mixed in together!

7. For those of you who have Sponsored Children that you are going to meet, what do you think meeting them will be like?
Sherry: I did this in March and it's just the biggest and warmest blessing that is hard to describe.
Kari: My son Lamar has a sponsored child and I think it will be a life changing experience for him to meet his child.
Jan: I think it'll be a blessing that will benefit both us and the kids.
Linda: Our family has had the privilege of sponsoring a little girl in India for several years through World Vision. What a blessing it has been to receive annual updates and photographs of this precious child, one I will probably never have the opportunity to meet personally. In a matter of weeks, I will be face-to-face with our precious Malawi-sponosored child. This truly is a "once in a lifetime" opportunity.
Shelley: I can't wait to meet our dear Froncy. My children are sending pictures and letters to her and can't wait for me to bring back stories of meeting her. I will want to hug this dear child, but I realize she may be overwhelmed by me. I am ready to do whatever God wants me to do when I meet her!

8. In what ways do you think you will, or have already experienced God through Malawi?
Sherry: He is leading this entire project so I'm trying to keep up with what He is doing in our midst.
Felicia: Seeing Christians coming together instead of fighting and gossiping is a beautiful thing. Also, my friends from college are being super supportive and have been a real encouragement which is really impacting me.
Char: The fact that I am going with the WACC team is an expression of God's wanting me to go to Malawi. I experience him everyday and this trip is just another way of it happening to me.
Kari: I have seen God's hand move through this whole project. People offering us donations or special deals. Companies and individuals were pleased to be able to participate in the project God had laid on the heart of WACC.
Marie: When we leave it's not long afterward that the doors will be opened and the real healing begins.
Jan: It's all so incredibly wonderful to be a part of, and each day I see God at work in us.
Lindsay: The excitement this church has for Malawi is contagious! God, no doubt, brought me to WACC and I am so glad that he is using and stretching me in so many ways! I honestly can't wait to see what comes next.
Verna: Along with our entire church I have witnessed God's hand in the building of this clinic, and I am looking forward to doing a part of the physical work and experiencing his working in and through us.
Dee: I have experienced total amazement in my life to be a part of this project. My friends and family have been so supportive in this endeavor. A whole new meaning to my life as a Christian and a human being.
Shelley:  Just the fact that I have never feared going there (because of my college roomie and the fact that Becky A. lived there for a year and survived), I already see God's hand working in that country. God convinced me through the Malawi Miracle that He can do anything! From what I hear, the people are some of the nicest ones on the planet! So I see God already living in that country!

 9. As we get closer to leaving, what emotions are you experiencing when you think about the trip?
Sherry: Peace, joy, and secure.
Felicia: I'm anxious to leave. I just wanna go already! No more sitting around!
Kari: Excitement, anticipation, anxiety, grateful to be able to go to Malawi as a part of this team, grateful for the support we have received.
Jan: Excitement, happiness, and feeling God's leading.
Lindsay: I was more nervous than excited until I started packing. Now I'm way more excited, not really nervous at all. Just ready to get on the plane!
Verna: Enthusiasm, Excitement, Love
Dee: Excitement and anticipation.
Shelley: Some emotions I am experiencing are: wonder, excitement, anxiety.


10. What would you like people to keep in mind as they pray for you?
Sherry: That my physical energy will hold up as we work long days and that God will bless our travelers in unexpected ways as they in turn bless those they meet on the journey.
Felicia: My health is not the best in the world and I will need stamina. Also, for my family not to worry.
Char: I hope people continue to pray for the people of Africa who are being so torn apart and dying from endemic diseases, war, and man's cruelties and that each of us can touch their hearts and give them part of our faith and/or strengthen theirs.
Kari: My prayer is that we represent our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and the people of WACC in a way that brings Glory to God. I would love to leave Malawi with the feeling that they have been ministered to by the hand of God.
Marie: The scope of physical work is huge. The team is small. God is going to perform another miracle with this phase for sure.
Jan: Our safety, strength (we have a lot of work to do) and that our team will be a blessing to those we meet.
Lindsay: Pray for our strength and health, and our emotions as we are far away from family and friends for a long time. Pray that America's desire to help Africa is not just a fad, but something that stays important to people so that we will all continue to help.
Verna: Health, safety, stamina- Team interaction and that we will be a blessing to everyone we work with and meet- and that God will be honored through us.
Linda: Travel safety and good health for the entire team. Wisdom. An acute sensitivity to the leading of God's Spirit.
Dee: For the safety and good health of each and every team member.
Shelley: Please pray for my family and me as we are apart from each other. Pray for good health, no injuries, and changed lives!

1 comment:

LoriLee said...

I'm so glad that I found this blog - we should advertise it in the bulletin at WACC! It's great to read about God's faithfulness to the Malawi team. My husband and I were happy to participate in a small way and our hearts and prayers will be with you. God bless - Lori & Sheldon